Thursday, November 09, 2006

Chapter 3: cont...again.

A few minutes later Sheila came back into the exam room with a doctor. He introduced himself as Dr. Martin and he told me that it looked like I had not one, but two masses, possibly tumors, in my right breast that should be looked at right away.
“We could wait.” He told me. “But I don’t think that we should. Sheila was making a phone call as Dr. Martin was talking to me. I didn't hear what else he said because my head was spinning. The next thing I knew, I was following Sheila down more corridors (Still in my hospital gown). Dr. Martin wanted me to get an ultra-sound right a way, and Sheila was taking me to the ultra-sound waiting room. This was the first time that I was in this waiting room. This same room that Mark and I would find ourselves in a few weeks later, while waiting for my biopsy to start.
The room was rectangular and small, it could hold ten people max, the walls were white (-) and the pictures boring (-) worst of all there was a TV blaring which was too loud for the room (--) I give the room a D. There were only a few people in the room, some look at me funny, maybe because I was sitting there in my hospital gown, I tried to read, but I couldn’t concentrate. A new technician took over my case. "Hi my name is…"
I went in to the ultra-sound room and the technician went to work. The objective of the test is to see if the mass that showed up on the mammogram was solid or liquid. Ultra-sound works like the radar a ship uses. Sound waves are sent out, if there is nothing there the sound waves keep going, but if there is a sub (or a tumor) then the sound waves hit the mass and bounce back to the sender. So if the mass is liquid the sound waves keep going and the mass is most likely a cyst. But if it is a solid mass than the sound waves bounce back and it is most likely a tumor. The technician told me that the masses were solid…so I need to find a surgeon and set up a biopsy as soon as possible. I drove home in shock, desperately needing a hug from my husband.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home