Thursday, November 09, 2006

Chapter 3: cont...again.

I was surprisingly calm when I told Mark about the tumors, and we decided to start the search for a surgeon. The first place I called was my gynecologist’s office, not Dr. Munn's office but Dr. Sicilano. Even thought Dr. Munn's office was such a long drive, I wanted to continue to be her patient, after all it was her insistence that I get a mammogram that set all this into motion in the first place (I would later write her a thank you letter). But that was not to be, she had moved her office and it was now almost a two hour drive, I realized that I had to find a closer doctor.
I decided to go back to Dr. Sicilano, a gynecologist that I went to two moves and six years ago. The office was located in Booton, a town that was about a thirty minute drive. I wanted to go to a doctor closer to my home, but I needed to go to a doctor/s that I felt comfortable with, so I returned to the office of Sicilano and Harrison. Not only were these good doctors they were the only gynecologist team where I fell convertible with both doctors. It was while I was a patient of Dr.'s Sicilano and Harrison that both of my children were born. Dr. Harrison delivered Leah and another (former) partner delivered Ronni.
I reestablish contact with the doctor's office and had my records switched over. I call the office to see if they could help me find a surgeon. I told the woman who answered the phone who I was and why I was calling. Now, let me step back for a second and tell you about how I feel about the women who work in a doctor’s office.
I never know what exactly what their job is, or what their education level is; are they receptionist? Nurses? File clerks? Insurance experts? All of the above? What ever they are, as a patient I spend more time with them than the actual doctor. So, I rely on them to make my medical visits run as smoothly as possible. Most of the time when I decide to leave a specific doctor, it is because I didn't like the staff.
I have always liked the staff at Drs Sicilano/Harrison, but it had been over six years since I was a patient there and I didn’t recognize some of the women that worked there any more.
So, when I called asking for help, I was disappointed when an unfamiliar voice told me that it was the policy of the office not to recommend other doctors.
“We have a few names on file of surgeons that work in the area, but we are not recommending them, do you understand? “
“Yes” I sighed, as I wrote down the names down. She must have heard the disappointment in my voice, because then she added.
“I could get in to trouble for this, but I have some friends in radiology at MH and there is a group of Surgeons that my friends just love.” She read off four names quietly. I wrote them down. Then she added.
“Their favorite doctor is Dr. Sullivan; they say he has the best bedside manor.” I thanked her and hang up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home