Tuesday, June 13, 2006

School Assembly

I subbed today in a school that has only 3rd and 4th graders. There was an assembly and I had to bring my class to it. I have mixed feeling about assemblies. On the one hand, if I bring a class to an assembly that means that I don’t have to teach anything while trying to control the class. On the other hand I still am responsible for my students and I have to keep them quiet and under control. The problem with that is-- I usually am not that familiar with the students so in a setting with lots of children it is easy to loose track of just what kids I am suppose to keep watch off. So what I do is as the program starts I just look mean and shush any child with in a twenty foot range. That makes all of the kids a little nervous so they all behave. I look like I am in control but the truth is I have no Idea which students I am supposed to watch.

If the assembly is good and the kids are engage it does not matter if I know who I am supposed to watch because they all are behaving. That is what happened today. The assembly was a student performance. It was a history of dance. One group of kids were the minstrels and narrated the story, which followed a family from medieval times to the present, who like to throw balls. Each generation gave their story (in rhyme) as to whom there are and what the latest dance craze is. I saw; a Minuet, a Waltz, Charleston, a Lindy Hop and a surprisingly good Break Dance, to name a few. The sound system wasn’t that good, and ten-year-olds aren’t the best at waltzing, but I give the show an A+ because the kids really put their hearts into it. The audience was dazzled, and a good time was had by all. I wish all assemblies were this much fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home