Friday, November 17, 2006

Chapter 4: MEETING DR. SULLIVAN...cont.

A few minutes later Dr. Sullivan came in to the exam room. He had a pleasant face and smiling eyes, I liked him immediately. We talked a little then he took out my x-rays from the folder and the fun began.
Who even designed the exam room should have their diploma taken away. The x-ray light was next to the exam table so the patient and doctor could look at them together, so far, so good. The problem was there was not any place for the doctor to put down the x-rays that were no being looked at. So, Dr. Sullivan placed one x-ray in the light thing and set the others on a chair that was too small. As we started to discus my tumors and why they were cause for concern, the x-rays started to slide off the chair. He picked them up.
Then he tried to put them on a table where there was some exam equipment, but there was not enough room. We continued to view the hanging x-ray, when the other x-rays slid off the table. He picked them up. This went on like a bad comedy routine. I started to think that I was putting my life in he hands of a Keystone doctor. Somehow we got through the examination and I kept a straight face. He told me that he needed to examine me and I needed to take off my shirt and bra, he left while I changed in to a hospital gown.
He came back and examined me. I never could find any lumps in my breast; I had wondered if I just wasn't looking the right way or that they were still too small to be felt yet. Dr. Sullivan did not find any lumps either, even with the aid of the x-ray he did not find any lumps. He told me how lucky I was that the mammogram found them. He then told me to get dressed and meet him in his office.
I think that his office was designed by the same guy who designed the exam rooms. Storage space was not considered when the room was set up and it was 10 degrees hotter in this room than the rest of the office so the Dr. Sullivan had to keep the door ajar to keep the temperature down. As I sat across the desk from him I notice some pictures of his children, proud Papa showing off.
He told me that he believed that tumors needed further investigation, so he would set up a biopsy for me. A few days later a woman from his office called to tell me the date of my biopsy at 1.30 p.m. on June 1st.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home